Several significant initiatives have been taken in recent
years by the Government in order to reverse the downward trend in agricultural
production. Some of these important initiatives include:
Development of Commercial Floriculture
- Bharat Nirman;
- National Rural Employment Guarantee Programme;
- National Horticulture Mission;
- Expansion of Institutional Credit to Farmers;
- Establishment of the National Bee Board;
- Establishment of the National Rainfed Area Authority;
- Establishment of the National Fisheries Development Board
- Watershed Development and Micro Irrigation Programmes;
- Reforms in Agricultural Marketing and Development of
- Revitalisation of Cooperative Sector;
- Agri-business Development through Venture Capital Participation
by the Small Farmer Agri-business Consortium;
- Reform and Support for Agriculture Extension Services;
- National Rural Health Mission;
- National Food Security Mission;
- Rashtriya Krishi Vikas Yojana to incentivise the states
to invest more in agriculture;
- Integrated Food Law;
- Legislative Framework for Warehousing Development and
- Protection of Plant Varieties and Farmers' Rights (PPVFR)
- National Bamboo Mission; and
- Knowledge Connectivity through Common Service Centres
(CSC) and IT initiatives.
- Improve production and productivity of traditional as
well as cut flowers through availability of quality planting material
and transfer technology.
- Improve human resource capabilities for growing flowers
- Promote production of off season and quality flowers
through protected cultivation.
- Improve on farm post harvest handling of flowers.
Pattern of Assistance:
- Specific attention for development of traditional flowers.
- Strengthening of Model Floriculture Centres for additional
facilities and extension of MFC in other potential States.
- Improvement in productivity and production through higher
use of inputs and area expansion
- Assistance for off-season production of flowers
- Emphasis on on-farm post-harvest management of flowers.
- Encouragement for greenhouse cultivation of flowers.
- Farmer participatory demonstration of cultivator technology
- Dissemination of Information through training and media