Animal Husbandry, Dairying and Fisheries is a State subject,
hence the Department of Animal Husbandry, Dairying & Fisheries aims
at supplementing the efforts of the State Governments in the development
of these sectors. The Department has been providing assistance to the
State Governments for the control of animal diseases, scientific management
and upgradation of genetic resources, increasing availability of nutritious
feed and fodder, sustainable development of processing and marketing facilities
and enhancement of production and profitability of livestock and fisheries
Accordingly, State Governments have set up separate departments
which are responsible for development of animal husbandry and dairying
in the State. Some of them are as follows.
of Animal Husbandry, Government of Maharashtra is basically responsible
for formulation and implementation of Livestock Policy of the State. It
carries out its functions through various functionaries and institutions
under the Department mostly by way of implementation of various developmental
activities through plan and non-plan schemes. Some of the main items of
its functions relate to:
- breeding policy for livestock and poultry;
- animal health care and disease control;
- disease diagnosis & surveillance;
- manufacturing and supply of veterinary biological and
critical inputs for genetic improvement programme;
- veterinary education & research through Maharashtra
Animal & Fisheries Science University;
- promotion of cooperative poultry and backyard poultry;
- compilation and analysis of statistics assessment of
production of animal products;
- feed and fodder development;
- conservation of native breeds;
- implementation of statutes and Acts relating to livestock
quality control of animal products especially for export.
of Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Services, Government of Karnataka,
has many activities such as the development of cattle,
buffalo, piggery, poultry, sheep and goats, besides fodder resources,
extension and training, implementation of socio-economic programmes, in
addition the department conducts 'Integrated Sample Survey' annually and
'Livestock Census' quinquennially. The main objectives of
the Department are:
- providing health care for domestic animals and poultry
population of the State and to protect them from contagious and non-contagious
- improvement of the productivity of livestock and poultry
through scientific breeding, feeding and management.
- providing extension services and practical training
facilities to the farmers in advanced animal husbandry practices.
- providing assistance to Livestock and Poultry Co-operative
Societies for the benefit of both producers and consumers.
- Formulating schemes to supplement the income of small
and marginal farmers and agricultural labourers and to help them
in securing financial assistance from the Financial Institutions.
- implementing Socio-Economic Programmes such as Special
Livestock Breeding Programme, Special component Plan and Tribal Sub-Plan
Schemes of the Government.
- conducting the Livestock Census once in five years,
besides conducting the Integrated Sample Survey every year
for estimating the production of major livestock products viz., milk,
meat, wool and egg and their by-products
of Animal Husbandry and Veterinary,
Government of Meghalaya, is entrusted with the responsibility of all
aspect of livestock and poultry development, like, production, processing
and marketing of livestock and poultry and their products through augmentation
of production of milk, meat, eggs and wool. Animal health care service
and prevention of animal diseases is a priority for maintenance of a healthy
stock for optimum production. Creation of suitable infrastructure for
breeding, feeding and management of livestock and poultry, processing
of milk, meat and eggs and marketing of livestock and livestock products
is also given due importance. Besides, the Department is engaged in providing
the required training and extension support to livestock producers so
as to promote scientific rearing of livestock and poultry amongst them
with consequent generation of employment avenues in the rural areas.
To bring about a developmental change in
livestock and poultry sector, number of programmes and infrastructure
development were undertaken by the Government where the activities of
the Department were mainly centered round the following broad objectives:
- providing protection to livestock and poultry from the
ravages of diseases through treatments and preventive vaccinations.
- introducing improved breeding techniques for upgrading
the local stock.
- ensuring better Animal Husbandry practices through adoption
of Extension and Research.
- building up of adequate technical and professional man-power
through Education and Training.
- encouraging setting of Livestock and Poultry Industries.