The Government of Mizoram has made several endeavours in the form of policy announcements for attracting investments into the State. These policy measures underline a roadmap which guide the investors about the various opportunities in the State. They also provide several incentives and schemes for creating a conducive business climate. The policies have been framed with a aim of fully utilising the available resources; generating gainful employment; improving the quality of life of the people of the State; and thus ensuring overall development of an economy.
The major being, the Bamboo Policy of Mizoram, which has been formulated to fully tap the ecological and economic potentials of the bamboo resource in the State. It aims to utilise this resource as an industrial raw material for ensuring all round sustainable development of the people. The objectives of the policy are:-
- Protection and conservation of mountain ecology as well as the rich bio-diversity associated with bamboo forests;
- Sustainable development and utilization of bamboo resources through scientific management;
- Promotion of private bamboo plantation as the key thrust area for future economy of the State;
- Promotion of bamboo cultivation as a cash crop and as an essential component of agro-forestry to generate income for rural households in the State;
- Iimprovement of bamboo productivity in farm and forestry sector;
- Promotion of bamboo based industries at cottage level, small scale, medium and large scale for utilizing the available resources at a sustainable level;
- Revitalisation and promotion of local traditional bamboo craft and art with improved technology for trade and export;
- Promotion of bamboo sector development as an essential component of rural development strategy thru promotion of employment;
- Promotion of bamboo as an essential wood substitute by increasing bamboo production;
- Promotion of awareness and understanding of bamboo as 'Green Gold' among farmers, traders and industry men in the State.
Another important policy is the Industrial Policy of Mizoram, which has been evolved with a view to engineer rapid growth in the State through sustainable industrial development. The objectives of the policy are:-
- Ensuring balanced sectoral and regional growth by promoting industries in all segments of economy;
- Formulating a suitable mechanism for attracting investment in Mizoram by taking full advantage of the policy changes at the Central level;
- Identifying and developing entrepreneurial and managerial skills by providing suitable training programmes at district, sub-division and block levels;
- Promoting and modernizing textile industry including traditional sericulture, handloom and handicraft sectors;
- Encouraging joint ventures between local entrepreneurs and industrialists from outside the State;
- Generating employment opportunities in the State;
- Making Mizoram a major center for the growth of fruit and food based industries by encouraging plantation of different kinds of livestocks in the State;
- Developing Mizoram as an attractive region for tourism industries;
- Eencouraging quality control, standardization and competitiveness of the local products.
An Information Technology (IT) policy has also been formulated with the aim of making Mizoram the most IT literate State in the country as well as a global center of excellence in IT education, training, research and development. The objectives of the policy are:-
- Promoting IT software, products and services in the State;
- Promoting IT for the masses;
- Setting up a goal of achieving total computer literacy in Mizoram by the year-2010;
- Improving efficiency, transparency and productivity in governance;
- Generating IT-skilled manpower and IT capacity-building in the State for generating gainful employment;
- Providing people-friendly interface between the Government and the citizens;
- Providing better information and interactive services to tourists, businessmen and entrepreneurs;
- Disseminating knowledge to farmers, agriculturists and rural population of Mizoram;
- Improving revenue assessment and collection mechanism;
- Proliferating internet, e-governance, e-commerce and e-education, etc.
Besides, a Power Policy is also in place for providing a greater thrust on the overall development and promotion of renewable energy technologies in the State. It aims to promote generation of grid-grade power through non-conventional energy sources in the context of non polluting, renewable inputs like solar, wind, small hydel, biomass and other wastes.