BIS provides certification against IS/ISO 9001:2000 under its Management Systems Certification activity. But, the other standards i.e. IS/ISO 9000:2000; IS/ISO 9004:2000; and IS/ISO 19011:2002 are guidance standards and are not meant for certification. The Quality Management System Certification (IS/ISO 9001:2000) Scheme/QMSCS
of BIS is being operated under the provisions of the BIS Act. The scheme covers a wide range of industry and service sectors including engineering, chemicals, pharmaceutical, cement, ceramics, food, textiles, automotives, mechanical, metallurgical, electrical, electronics, aeronautics, hospitals, financial, banking services, construction, hospitals, wholesale & retail trade, education& training, hotel, power, printing, telecommunications, testing laboratories and information technology. The scheme is accredited for following 23 major economic activities by Raad voor Accreditatie (RvA)
, the Dutch Council for Accreditation:-
- Textile and textile products
- Chemicals, chemical products and fibres
- Rubber and plastic products
- Non-metallic mineral products
- Concrete, cement, lime, plaster, etc
- Basic metals and fabricated metal products
- Machinery and equipment
- Electrical and optical equipment
- Other transport equipment
- Wholesale and retail trade ; repair of motor vehicles, motorcycles and personal and Household goods
- Food Products, beverages and Tabaco
- Leather and Leather Products
- Wood and Wood Products
- Pulp, Paper and Paper Products
- Printing Companies
- Manufacturing not elsewhere Classified
- Transport, Storage and Communication
- Other Services
- Hotel & Restaurants
- Electricity Supply
- Manufacture of Coke and Refined Petroleum Products
- Financial Intermediation; Real Estate; Renting (Limited to NACE 65)
An organization can obtain a certification against IS/ISO 9001:2000 through the following procedure:-
- Establish a documented quality management system and ensure its effectiveness.
- Submit application on prescribed proforma (Form IV) along with the questionnaire (Form V) .
- Submit the quality manual and related documents, when asked for.
- Arrange audit by BIS Assessment Team.
- Take corrective actions on non-conformities observed by assessment team and get them verified.
- Obtain the Licence.
- The licence will enable the company to compete effectively in national and international market.
Benefits of Quality Management System Certification (IS/ISO 9001:2000) to a firm:-
- As it is identical to the internationally accepted ISO 9001:2000, it helps the firm in gaining a competitive edge in both domestic and global markets.
- It ensures efficient and sound procedures.
- It ensures optimum utilization of plant and reduces scrap and time consuming rework and repairs.
- It is a tool to ensure consistent quality improvement apart from achieving quality control/quality assurance.
- It brings confidence in the customers regarding the quality of the product.
- It makes the quality management system transparent through quality records.
- It ensures higher productivity.