The premier official organization entrusted with the work of collecting, compiling and publishing/disseminating trade statistics is the "Directorate General of Commercial Intelligence and Statistics (DGCI&S)
". It is a subordinate office of the Ministry of Commerce and Industry
, located at Kolkata. It provides various types of commercial information required by the policy makers, researchers, importers, exporters, traders as well as overseas buyers. It brings out a number of publications mainly on inland and coastal trade statistics, revenue statistics, shipping & air cargo statistics, etc. The foreign trade data generated by the Directorate are disseminated through its:-
- Monthly Press Releases;
- Monthly Foreign Trade Statistics of India by Principal Commodities & Countries;
- Monthly Statistics of Foreign Trade of India;
- Quarterly Statistics of Foreign Trade of India by Countries;
- Selected Statistics of the Foreign Trade of India;
- Directory of Indian Exporters and Importers.
The DGCI&S also maintains a commercial library for the use of the traders, manufacturers, businessmen, industrialists, technologists, Government officials, students, teachers and researchers from India and abroad.
The quality of information both in terms of authenticity and timeliness has made this organisation a veritable trade intelligence warehouse not only in India, but also across the globe.